Fragrant Yellow Rice
Posted on June 23 2023
This amazing rice recipe is a secret weapon when hosting! Making a beautiful curry is one thing, but layering flavour through all of your elements, even the rice will definitely impress your guests! This rice is fluffy, garlicy and bursting with flavour!
Oil or Ghee
½ Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds
3 Cardamon Pods
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- In a pan on low-medium heat up roughly 3 tablespoons of ghee, or oil in a pan. Let the oil get warm.
- Then add a heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Then add the cumin seeds, cardamom pods and cloves to the garlic and oil. Keep moving the spices for about 1 minutes so they don’t burn
- Then add a teaspoon of turmeric powder in and continue stirring until combined.
- Add a pinch of salt and set aside
- Prepare your rice. Rinse your rice well. You’ll need to use the absorption method to ensure you aren’t pouring away all that beautiful flavour you’ve just done! For basmati rice the ratio for the absorption method is: 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water, plus an extra ½ cup of water. This extra ½ cup of water stays as ½ a cup, regardless of how many cups of rice you are cooking. (Our rule of thumb is the amount of water should be about 1cm above the water.)
- Add your spice mixture to the rice and water and mix well.
- Add alfoil over your pot and cook rice according to how much rice you have made.
- Once your rice is cooked, grab a fork and fluff the rice and serve!