Pickle Mango Chutney
Posted on November 13 2015
A spicey Sweet Temptation
Serves 6 - 8 | Preparation 15 min | Cooking 1 hour | Skill - Level Easy
- 500 g palm sugar (jaggery)
- 1 x tsp fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 x pinch asafoetida (see Note)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the mango in a large saucepan with enough water to cover by 1 cm.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 8–10 minutes until the mango is soft but not breaking down.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the palm sugar, fenugreek seeds,
- turmeric, asafoetida, salt and ½ teaspoon each of the mustard seeds
- and chilli powder.
- Cook for a further 50–60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat and add the oil and the remaining mustard seeds and chilli powder and cook until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add to the prepared mango and stir through.
- Serve warm with chapatis - Enjoy
Note: Asafoetida is a pungent Indian spice, which mellows upon cooking with a flavour akin to sautéed onion or leek. It’s available from Indian grocery stores.