Slow Cooker Curry Kit Ideas
Posted on April 05 2019
Bringing out the slow cooker at any time of year is a great thing to do, especially for us busy people.
However, as the season slowly changes into the colder months, nothing beats a slow cooked curry to keep our bellies warm.
We are often asked if our Curry Traders spice kits can be used in a slow cooker, and the answer is yes, of course, they can be.
My tips for cooking a curry in a slow cooker are:
Use lean red meat.
1. Brown off the meat either in a frypan on the stove top or in the slow cooker, before adding any other ingredient.
Chicken tends to fall apart too quickly, especially if the slow cooker is on a 6 or 8 hour cycle. And let’s face it, if you were cooking a chicken curry on the stove top, it would only take an hour anyway. So, it sort of defeats the purpose.
2. You can choose to either prepare as per instructions on our Curry Traders spice kit on the stove top and then transfer into your slow cooker and let simmer away. I prefer this way better, as most of our easy curry recipes advise to blend the ingredients so that you have a velvety, smooth masala (sauce). Or, you can grind the spices and have all the ingredients ready to simply add to your meat that has been browned off. This will be more of a ‘rustic’ curry but still packed with flavour and with a Curry Traders touch.
3. Keep an eye on the liquid content. You do not want your Curry Traders curry to turn out resembling a casserole. If your Curry Traders recipe requires you to add water or stock, only add half of what is suggested. There will be enough flavour as the curry cooks over time, and the juices will create enough curry sauce to enjoy.
If you find there is too much liquid, simply remove the lid for the last ½ hour of cooking.
4. If you are using a Curry Traders spice kit that requires to add coconut milk or cream, simply add ½ hour before serving and stir through.
5. The longer you cook chilli for the more it will release its flavour. So if you are looking for a little more spice in your curry, add a Hot Lover Curry Traders Combo pack to your shopping cart and start cooking your favourite Curry Traders spice kit in your slow cooker to get your taste buds dancing.
6. We recommend using Curry Traders spice kits:
- Sri Lankan Curry
- Bombay Masala Curry
- Malaysian Rendang Curry
- Lamb Madras Curry
- Massaman Curry
- Rogan Josh Curry