Vegetarian Butter Chicken
Posted on August 26 2018
We have many of our customers asking if we have spice kits for a vegetable curry. Well as a matter of fact, all our curry recipes can be modified to create a delightful vegetarian curry. Our Butter Chicken recipe is so popular, everyone comes back craving for more. It is perfect the way that it is, but for the clientele that have not tried this famous curry because of the ‘chicken’ factor, no problem. Simply purchase our amazing Butter Chicken spice kit and substitute the chicken for either vegetables, paneer or tofu and follow these easy steps below.
As I have always said, if cooking with vegetables in a curry, always keep it simple. Never over do the vegies. So in our modified Butter Chicken recipe for our vegetarians or for those willing to explore with our curry kits…here you go.
Vegetarian Butter Chicken Shopping List
- 1 x Butter Chicken Curry Traders Kit
- 1 kg of vegetables. You can use any or all of the veggies below.
- Potatoes cut in 2 cm cubes
- Cauliflower florets 2-3 cm size
- Sweet potato peeled and cut in 2 cm cubes
- Or tofu /paneer diced
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 1 tblspn ginger
- 4 tblspn vegetable oil
- 2 tspn salt
- 5 small onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes or 5 fresh tomatoes
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 cup thickened cream
Preparation of Vegetarian Butter Chicken Recipe
- Cut vegetables as above, squeeze lemon, crush garlic, grate ginger, dice onions, dice tomatoes. Cover the potatoes cubes with lots of cold water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins.
- Add in cauliflower florets to the potatoes and simmer for another 4 mins. Drain and leave to cool.
- Grind contents of Bag 1 in mortar & pestle or coffee grinder.
- Mix in Bag 3 and Bag 1 pour into large bowl.
- Mix in lemon juice, half the ginger, half the garlic, yoghurt and 2 tblspn of vegetable oil. Season with 1 tspn salt.
- Add cooled potato, cauliflower and sweet potato cubes so they are all coated evenly.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for an hour. Same procedure for tofu / paneer.
- Line oven tray with baking paper
- Pre-heat oven 240c. Place vegetables, tofu or paneer evenly on tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tblspn of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and 1 tspn salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ginger and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Bag 2. Cook for 2 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in butter until butter melts. Pour mixture into a blender, give it a whiz until texture is smooth. Pour back into saucepan.
- Add cream and gently stir. Stir in marinated chicken and Bag 4.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender.
- Serve with basmati rice and enjoy!